Wiese, W. (2018). Experienced Wholeness. Integrating Insights from Gestalt Theory, Cognitive Neuroscience, and Predictive Processing. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
Fink, S. B., Wiese, W. & Windt, J. M. (Eds.) (2018). Research Topic “Philosophical and Ethical Aspects of a Science of Consciousness and the Self”, Frontiers in Psychology. (Festschrift for Thomas Metzinger, OPEN ACCESS)
Wiese, W. & Metzinger, T. (forthcoming). Androids dream of virtual sheep. In T. Shanahan & P. Smart (Eds.), Blade Runner 2049. Routledge.
Wiese, W. & Metzinger, T. (forthcoming). Key concepts of predictive processing. In D. Neiva, M. Curado, & S. Gouveia (Eds.), The Philosophy and Science of Predictive Processing. London: Bloomsbury.
Wiese, W. (2019). Explaining the Enduring Intuition of Substantiality. The Phenomenal Self as an Abstract ‘Salience Object’. Journal of Consciousness Studies 26(3-4), 64-87.
Wiese, W. (2018). Toward a mature science of consciousness. Frontiers in Psychology 9, 693. DOI: 3389/fpsyg.2018.00693 (OPEN ACCESS)
Wiese, W. (2018). Ethics of belief: On some conceptual and empirical obstacles to teaching the ability for positive learning. In O. Zlatkin-Troitschanskaia, G. Wittum, & A. Dengel (Eds.), Positive Learning in the Age of Information (PLATO) - A blessing or a curse? Wiesbaden: Springer.
Wiese, W. (2017). Predictive processing and the phenomenology of time consciousness. A hierarchical extension of Rick Grush's trajectory estimation model. In T. Metzinger & W. Wiese (Eds.). Philosophy and Predictive Processing: 26. Frankfurt am Main: MIND Group. DOI: 10.15502/9783958573277
Wiese, W. & Metzinger T. (2017). Vanilla PP for philosophers: A primer on predictive processing.
In T. Metzinger & W. Wiese (Eds.). Philosophy and Predictive Processing: 1. Frankfurt am Main: MIND Group. DOI: 10.15502/9783958573024
Wiese, W. (2017). Action is enabled by systematic misrepresentations. Erkenntnis 82(6), 1233-1252. DOI: 10.1007/s10670-016-9867-x
Wiese, W. (2017). How to solve the problem of phenomenal unity: finding alternatives to the single state conception. Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences 16(5), 811-836. DOI: 10.1007/s11097-016-9478-7 (OPEN ACCESS)
Wiese, W. (2017). What are the contents of representations in predictive processing? Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences 16(4), 715-736. DOI: 10.1007/s11097-016-9472-0 The final publication is available at link.springer.com.
Wiese, W. (2015). Perceptual presence in the Kuhnian-Popperian Bayesian brain - A Commentary on Anil K. Seth. In T. Metzinger & J.M. Windt (Eds.) Open MIND: 35(C). Frankfurt am Main: MIND Group. DOI: 10.15502/9783958570207 (OPEN ACCESS)
Also in: Metzinger, T., & Windt, J.M. (Eds.) (2016). Open MIND, Vol. 2. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, pp. 1475-1493.
Wiese, W. (2014). Jakob Hohwy: The Predictive Mind. Minds and Machines 24(2), 233-237. DOI: 10.1007/s11023-014-9338-6 The final publication is available at link.springer.com.
Wiese, W., and Metzinger, T. (2012). Desiderata for a mereotopological theory of consciousness: First steps towards a formal model for the unity of consciousness. In S. Edelman, T. Fekete, and N. Zach (Eds.), Being in Time. Dynamical models of phenomenal experience. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
- PhD thesis: Phenomenal Holism. Foundations of an Interdisciplinary Framework for the Problem of Phenomenal Unity. Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, Department of Philosophy, 2015. Supervisors: Prof. Dr. Thomas Metzinger (Mainz), Prof. Dr. Anil Seth (Sussex).
- Diploma thesis ("M.A. thesis"): Self-Attractive Random Polymers. Simulations Near the Critical Point With PERM. Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, Mathematical Institute, 2012. Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Achim Klenke.
- M.A. thesis: Giulio Tononi's Integrated Information Theory of Consciousness. Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, Department of Philosophy, 2010. Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Thomas Metzinger.
Talks and Poster Presentations
- Talk at the workshop “Predictive Processing, Consciousness, and Self”, Bochum, January 2019.
- Talk, “Perception as Augmented Reality.” Workshop “Philosophy of Predictive Processing, Self and Representations”, Lissabon, December 2018.
- Talk, “Perception as Augmented Reality.” Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, Nijmegen, October 2018.
- Talk, “Discovering asymmetries in the structure of experience through radical disruptions of self-consciousness.” Workshop "Selfless Minds", Frankfurt am Main, October 2018.
- Talk, "Modeling valences of conscious experiences with lexicographic vectors." GAP 10, Cologne, September 2018.
- Talk, "Computing the valence of pleasure and pain." Kogwis, Darmstadt, September 2018.
- Four talks, "Philosophy of Mind." Interdisciplinary College, Günne, March 2018.
- Talk, "Probabilistic Representations and Consciousness." Theoretical Neurobiology Group, Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, London, February 2018.
- Talk, "Philosophie der KI-Forschung: Vom Turing-Test zur Superintelligenz." ("Philosophy of AI"; talk for high school students) Rabanus-Maurus-Gymnasium, Mainz, February 2018.
- Talk, "Towards a paradigmatic science of consciousness? On the prospects of integrating multidisciplinary consciousness research." Research colloquium Philosophy and Cognitive Science, Bochum, January 2018.
- Talk, "Ergebnisse aus der Forschung zum Zeiterleben", Cultural Centre Betakontext, Berlin, November 2017.
- Talk, "Making it personal: What subpersonal PP stories can tell us about consciousness." Workshop "Expecting Ourselves: Prediction, Action, and the Embodied Mind", Edinburgh, November 2017.
- Talk, "Explaining substantiality: The phenomenal self as an abstract salience object." Workshop "Designed Mind", Edinburgh, November 2017.
- Talk, "Herbartian ideas in predictive processing and their relevance to the problem of self-consciousness." Third International Conference on Philosophy of Mind, Braga, October 2017.
- Talk, "Morphological Computation and Consciousness." Working Group "Morphological Computation", Santa Fe, September 2017.
- Talk, "Herbartian ideas in predictive processing and their relevance to the problem of self-consciousness." Symposium "Philosophy and Predictive Processing" at ECAP9, Munich, August 2017.
- Talk, "What's it worth? Towards a formal model of the subjective value of conscious experiences." ECAP9, Munich, August 2017.
- Talk, "On some conceptual and empirical obstacles to teaching the ability for positive learning." PLATO Summer Conference, Mainz, June 2017.
- Talk, "PEM and voluntary attention." Workshop "Predictive Coding and the Mind", Bochum, March 2017.
- Talk, "Must artificial consciousness be embodied?" Workshop "On Conscious Artificial Systems", Tuebingen, December 2016.
- Talk, "Niemand war oder hatte jemals ein Ich. Die Selbstmodelltheorie von Thomas Metzinger" ("No one ever was or had a self. Thomas Metzinger's self-model theory."), Symposium "Wer bin ich wirklich?", Stuttgart, November 2016.
- Talk, "Bradleys Regress und die Einheit des Bewusstseins" ("Bradley's regress and the unity of consciousness"), Colloquium of the Department of Philosophy, Mainz, November 2016.
- Talk, "What are the contents of representations in predictive processing?", KogWis2016, Bremen, September 2016.
- Talk, "Experiencing temporal continua: how is it possible?", CEP2016, Bristol, September 2016.
- Tutorial, "Predictive Processing and Consciousness", ASSC20, Buenos Aires, June 2016.
- Talk, "How can experienced temporal continua be accounted for in terms of finite neural states?", ASSC20, Buenos Aires, June 2016.
- Talk, "Wie wirklich bin Ich?", Regensburg, May 2016.
- Talk, "Predictive Processing and the Phenomenology of Time Consciousness." MIND23, Frankfurt a.M., May 2016.
- Talk, "A hierarchical extension of Rick Grush's trajectory estimation model." Rudolf-Carnap-Lectures 2016, Bochum, March 2016.
- Talk, “Do atomic phenomenal moments exist?", BaCI, Utrecht, September 2015.
- Poster, “Why the single state conception does not solve the problem of phenomenal unity." ASSC19, Paris, July 2015.
- Poster, “Sensorimotor skills require homological representations." Workshop The Sensorimotor Theory of Perception and Consciousness: Developments and Open Questions, Paris, July 2015.
- Talk, “The regularity account of phenomenal unity.” MIND22, Frankfurt a.M. April 2015.
- Poster, “How far does the predicted present extend into the future?” Workshop Cognitive Penetration and Predictive Coding, Bochum, March 2015.
- Talk, “Predictive Processing and phenomenal unity: Towards a formal definition” MIND21intensive, Frankfurt a.M. November 2014.
- Talk, “Cartesian agents duel with demons -- Embodied agents learn SaMBA (Systematic use of Misrepresentations to the Benefit of the Agent).” Spindel 2014, Memphis. October 2014.
- Poster (together with Iuliia Pliushch), “Towards a Predictive Processing account of mental agency.” KogWis14, Tübingen. October 2014.
- Talk, “How to make progress on the problem of phenomenal unity.” Workshop Unity of Consciousness: Phenomenological and Cognitive Aspects, St. Petersburg. August 2014.
- Poster, “A predictive processing account of phenomenal unity.” IK2014, Günne. March 2014.
- Talk, “A predictive processing account of phenomenal unity.” MIND20, Frankfurt a.M. March 2014.
- Talk, “Varieties of misrepresentation worth wanting.” Rudolf-Carnap-Lectures 2014, Bochum. March 2014.
- Talk, “The Predicted Present.” Workshop The Predictive Mind, Mainz. December 2013.
- Talk, “Phenomenal Holism.” Workshop Brain – Body – Environment: Recent Approaches to Consciousness and Cognition, Mainz. November 2013.
- Poster, “Meditation improves precision expectations.” ASSC17, San Diego. July 2013.
- Talk, “Meditation, Attention, and Predictive Coding.” MIND19, Zurich. March 2013.
- Poster, “What can Friston's free-energy principle tell us about embodied cognition?” Workshop Conceptual and Mathematical Foundations of Embodied Intelligence, Leipzig. February/March 2013.
- Talk, “Phenomenal Time.” MIND18intensive, Mainz. October 2012.
- Poster, “Towards a Mereotopological Framework for the Unity of Consciousness.” KogWis12, Bamberg. October 2012.
- Talk, “A Mereotopological Theory for the Unity of Consciousness.” KogWis-Doktorandenkolloquium, Bamberg. September 2012.
- Talk, “Mereotopology and Consciousness.” MIND17intensive, Mainz. September 2012.
- Poster, “Towards a Self-Representational Account of the Diachronic Unity of Consciousness.” ASSC16, Brighton. July 2012.
- Talk, “Representational Fusion.” MIND16, Frankfurt a.M. June 2012.
- Talk, “The whole parts of consciousness.” MIND15, Frankfurt a.M. October 2011.
- Talk, “The integrated information theory and the two problems of consciousness.” MIND13, Frankfurt a.M. October 2010.
- Talk, “A comment on Giulio Tononi’s Integrated Information Theory of Consciousness.” MIND12, Zürich. March 2010.
- Talk, “An Analysis of Rational Analysis.” MIND11, Berlin. May 2009.
- Talk, “Perceptual Knowledge and Spatial Perception. A comment on Quassim Cassam’s The Possibility of Knowledge.” 4. Mainz-Frankfurt Kolloquium, Frankfurt a.M. January 2008.